Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Two Allegiances, One Truth [Univ. of Michigan, Ann Arbor]

Lisa Haidostian, The Michigan Daily, April 9, 2008

As a third-generation Armenian, and ever since I spent my first summer transitioning abruptly from country club tennis matches to singing the Armenian anthem at culture camp, I've been playing some sort of identity hopscotch game, never quite knowing on exactly which square to land.

It's no surprise that there's a blurring of national loyalties for someone who grew up, as I did, with steadfast ties to an ancestral homeland, but who also waves the American flag, as I do, as high as the rest on the Fourth of July.

But for many Armenians, there's an especially strong devotion to our ethnicity because of an unrecognized, unaddressed and often unknown genocide that's been stinging our people for more than 92 years. [more]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Dieta, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://dieta-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.